The Open Space working group is comprised of Parish Councillors and lay members and reports to the Ashton Keynes Parish Council.
The Committee has no budget, and so any proposal that involves expenditure has to be submitted for consideration to the Parish Council.
The members of the working group are:
- Cllr. Ernie Tidmarsh - Chairman
- Cllr. Anthony Wheatley
- Mike Low
- Mike Seymour
- Ashley Seymour
The focus of the working group is the Footpaths, Hedges and Watercourses in the Parish.
The objectives are to:
- Ensure that the footpaths within the Parish Boundary are kept free of obstruction.
- Ensure that the stiles and signposts are properly maintained.
- Liaise with landowners and/or the local authority in respect of the above.
- Liaise with the local authority in respect of proposed footpath diversions.
- Propose amendments where needed to the Ashton Keynes Footpaths guide.
In order to meet these objectives an inventory is kept of each footpath within the parish which records issues that require attention. The footpaths are all walked at least once a year to ensure that our information is as up-to-date as possible, and parishioners are encouraged to report any problems that they encounter in the interim. The inventories are reviewed at each meeting and progress reported. Small jobs are undertaken by working group members themselves, but larger ones often require assistance from the local authority, particularly in the provision of items such as signposts. A good working relationship has been developed with the County Council’s specialist staff, who attend our meetings as required. Other issues are brought to our notice by the Parish Clerk on behalf of the Parish Council.